Call 508-250-4919 for Hurricane Florence Assistance or Click Here to Learn More
- Get a Quote
- All categories
- Construction Resources
- Emergency Planning
- Government Resources
- Hand Hygiene
- In The News
- Industrial On Site Sanitation
- Planning Special Events
- Porta Potty FAQs
- Seasonal Porta Potty Rental
- USS Gives Back
- USS Safety
- USS Sporting Events
- USS Toilet Planning
- USS Updates
- World Portable Sanitation
When Hepatitis A Strikes, We’re the Crisis Management Partner You Need
Thursday, September 7th, 2017
On September 1st, San Diego County declared a local health emergency regarding the recent adding hepatitis A outbreak. The outbreak, that hit the homeless population the hardest, is responsible killing 15 people and hospitalizing hundreds.
The San Diego Tribune reported the story first, here, and tells the sad truth about how Hep A infections are most common among the homeless who often have no access to sanitary facilities. This county’s efforts began to turn toward handwashing, and hand hygiene, as a necessary solution.
Pictured above is Edwin Gonzalez of United Site Services delivering a portable hand-washing station to the Neil Good Day Center in downtown San Diego on Friday. (Eduardo Contreras/San Diego Union-Tribune).
Working with the county, we began delivering portable hand-washing stations Friday morning in locations where homeless residents of the city stay. More than twenty stations were in place by the end of the day and 20 more were planned for weekend drop off.
This local outbreak has caused 378 confirmed cases to date and is one of the largest instances seen in at least 20 years.
How does United Site Services play a part in prevention?
Hand Washing Stations
The delayed action faucet promotes good hygiene by allowing both hands to be washed simultaneously. See United Site Services Portable Sink Rentals, here.
Our units provide patrons with an easy and convenient way to disinfect their hands when a water source is unavailable. Dispensing antiseptic gel or foam that kills 99% of germs on hands reducing the spread of germs and bacteria. See United Site Services Hand Sanitizer Stands here.
Key facts to remember when considering hand hygiene for your project
From the World Health Organization
- Hepatitis A is a viral liver disease that can cause mild to severe illness.
- The hepatitis A virus (HAV) is transmitted through ingestion of contaminated food and water or through direct contact with an infectious person.
- Almost everyone recovers fully from hepatitis A with a lifelong immunity. However, a very small proportion of people infected with hepatitis A could die from fulminant hepatitis.
- The risk of hepatitis A infection is associated with a lack of safe water, and poor sanitation and hygiene (such as dirty hands).
- Epidemics can be explosive and cause substantial economic loss.
- A safe and effective vaccine is available to prevent hepatitis A.
- Safe water supply, food safety, improved sanitation, handwashing and the hepatitis A vaccine are the most effective ways to combat the disease.
Call 1-800-TOILETS today for more information or to place an order for your project. Help do your part to creating a safe and healthy site.